Monday, April 6, 2009

Long days, the great scavenger hunt and a good nights rest

I have a new purpose as I pedal my way through Zambia - finding objects for The Great Zambian Scavenger Hunt. It's lots of fun and I feel kind of like I'm doing the amazing race! The hunt is all over at 5pm tomorrow and my partner in crime - the wonderful Jolyane and I still have a few more things to find. There is a list of 20 things on the list we need to find and so far we have scavenged:
- a broken discarded shoe
- a piece of amalesa (which we had to firstly find out what it was - charcoal!)
- a ngwe - which is an old Zambian coin no longer used
- a seed from a baobab tree
- a mozi (brand of beer) bottle cap
- a rusty nail
- and many more equally random objects.

We also needed a picture of me on a local bicycle - I chose one with a 3 year old kid on the back, and the frame was really huge and it was a really hard bike to ride, not to mention how worried I was that the kid would fall off the back!!! We have a picture of a Zambian person doing the TDA pose (holding their bicycle above their head).

Today we thought we might have had a lead for the "snake stone" which I think is apparently a special black stone that you rub on a snake bite thats supposed to fix you up. We need to find a Witch Doctor to get one of these. We saw a sign to the "Black Doctor" though 400m off the main road, which we followed into a little village which obviously (although only 50km from Lusaka) saw very few white people. They were very accommodating of us and although the doctor did not have a snake stone one of his 5 wives made us tea, and gave us bread and beans and we had a good chat... it was one of those great moments you get when you're travelling. The doctor himself was 79 years old and looking good. He said he had 62 children, who had 9 different mothers (but only 5 wives). He had some very cute kids (or maybe they were grandkids- I'm not sure!). Anyhow, Jolyane, Miranda, Nate, Dave & I (who were all with me in the village) managed to get behind the sweep rider so everyone was wondering where we were at lunchtime! And then Eric who was the afternoon sweep rider caught me finding my rusty nail in the afternoon. It was only the 2nd time I'd been caught by the sweep - I'm usually up near the front of the pack!

Anyhow, I'm in Lusaka now, the capital of Zambia. And thankful that tomorrow is a rest day because I am feeling tired - the last 5 days have been long - 145km, 175km, 141km, 151km, and today only 105km. But the rolling hills are never ending and there have been some big climbs. Thankfully however I have a new thermarest, kindly donated to a needy rider by Werner who had to go home early in Tanzania after he was hit by a truck and broke his elbow. Werner's thermarest is thick - at least half as thick as mine when it used to inflate, and it has a built in pillow. At night time even though I'm still on the ground in my tent, I feel like I'm back in my bed at home!!!

Mitch the Rockhopper is now feeling like new after Dr Mark operated on him recently and gave him an operation - a Total Drivetrain, casette and chainwheel Replacement he had. He's shifting again like he did when he was new!

2 comments:

erose said...

Hi Claire!
I am so enjoying your blog! (Discovered via the tour site profile page!) You are a brave lady going off the beaten track to find a witch Doctor in Africa ;-0 Brilliant story for years to come that amongst many others I have loved reading about!
You don't need me to tell you (or others!) you're doing fantastically (especially when I am a million miles away from your experience!)-But-what the heck-I'll say it anyway ;-0 "Claire-you're doing fantastically! As is everyone!" Not least in being able to update your blog from the depths of Africa! Keep it up-it's keeping many of us buoyant "back home!"-Oh-and guess you'd better keep up the pedaling too! Thanks for taking the time to write! Emma Rose (aka: Allan's not so better half!)

Unknown said...

Hi Claire

Am enjoying reading your blogs. What an adventure! Your scavenger hunt sounds like fun. Maybe we can set one up for the Venturers one night. I have been thinking that we could possibly set up a navigation treasure hunt for them. They have to use a compass to get around and at the end they find the key, then keep going to find the treasure, which I thought could be a buried padlocked box with those chocolate gold wrapped coins in them in different sizes. Just a thought.

I need to ask you a Venturer Leader question. What is the status of our bank account? Is Ron Tw. still a signatory? I would like to get it going again.
We have 5 venturers going to MayVenture from 1-4th May. Some of the Venturers will be reciting a poem or saying a prayer in the upcoming Anzac Day parade. Afterwards we are heading back to the Den for water activities.Am looking forward to that part. I completed the Venturing Skills 1 Course a couple of weeks ago. We were told that AVL are no more. We are all considered as leaders now. I'm still going to be second in command when you get back though :-).

Don't know if you heard but Qld had a state election and Anna Bligh is back/continuing as Premier. Kevin Rudd has met with Barrack Obama for the first time. Coffs Harbour and Bellingen had flash flooding and the area was declared as a natural disaster zone. There is a bridge being built from North Quay to the Cultural Centre called the Kurilpa Bridge and it's progressing quickly. Easter is looking like it's going to be rainy....

Stay safe and enjoy South Africa.

Cheers
Alex