Monday, December 26, 2011

You're never on your own for long...

So I'm standing around Changi Airport at the moment wearing 3 t-shirts simultaneously, two pairs of shorts, one pair of long pants, two pairs of socks, and my sneakers. I'm carrying three jackets with me aswell because it's a little hot to have them on me right now. I'm a tad uncomfy!



BUT... I can't complain too much because I managed to get out of paying my excess baggage fees!!! WHOOOT!!!! Everytime I fly I seem to get swamped but luckily the lady at singapore airlines today had some Christmas Spirit left in her and didn't even mention it (and I had a special little letter all typed out for her too!) Or maybe she was too distracted trying to figure out how to print my Silk Air boarding pass for my connecting flight... anyhow, I had my lovely letter explaining why she shouldn't charge me for my bike on hand and ready just in case and didn't even need to use it!





So I'm on my way to Phnom Penh at the moment with an 11 hour stop over at Singapore, At least Changi Airport is not the most unpleasant of airports to hang out at. They do free tours of the city for people with long transfer times which I decided to go on.





Just while I'm checking in to the tour desk I hear someone calling my name. I look up and it's Francesca (a girl who I used to work with at Homes West last year). She's on her way from Perth home to the Phillipines for a wedding. It's great to have some one to hang out with. I also meet another girl (I don't know her name yet) who is also off to Cambodia for some cycling. She's doing a 19 day organised tour though and it's her first ever bike tour so I'm feeling really excited for her! So I have some friends to hang out here with which makes the time go faster. Because I left the airport I get some new stamps in my passport too (which still excites me!)



Ok so to update you all with the current plan (in case you don't know already):



I'm off to do a bit of bike touring in Cambodia - riding a circuit from Phnom Penh to Sihanoukville (just my own thing). Do 2 days of diving and also do my advanced open water course while I'm at it, and then ride back again, before I head back to Cairo for TDA 2012. No return ticket just yet because I don't quite know for certain what I'm going to be up to next.



Feeling pretty excited right now. I was feeling a little unexcited initially because I was actually just starting to settle back into Real Life as a Real Person in the Real World (and finally managing to enjoy myself at the same time!) and then it was time to pack up the car, move all my stuff back to Brisbane (thanks for the storage space Mum and Dad!), do Christmas - which was lovely to be able to spend the time with all the family again (I'm really sorry I just missed you guys Janey and Jim) before jumping on an aeroplane.





It's amazing how fast I can convert back into travel mode again though! It's exciting. I'm always paranoid of forgetting something important when I'm hanging around airports, but I have my passport and my credit card and with those two things I should be able to manage if I've forgotten anything vital!





Well, hope this message finds everyone reading it well after having a lovely Christmas. I'll be in touch writing stories right here for anyone interested :) xo

1 comment:

oldultrarunner said...

Have a great ride through Cambodia Claire. My UK touring buddy and I have done that twice. It can be kind of dodgy there with the traffic because the roads are much narrower and they aren't that used to cyclists on the roads. So be very careful.

Len DeMoss