Friday, January 7, 2011

Enroute to Cairo

Farout it's been a busy last few weeks with Christmas shenanigans, work, spending quality time with friends and family, moving house, and getting all ready to head away on my mission to cycle across africa for the second time (because doing it once is simply not enough!)

Managed to get away with a few moments of worry when the fire alarm went off at Brisbane International Airport and made everyone go stand outside for a few minutes until they decided it was only a falsey and the firies had reset the alarm.


As I step onto the escalator after saying goodbye to mum and dad (and thanks for the lift!) there's a few moments of nervousness where I feel a bit unsure, a bit lonely and a bit frightened. But it's nothing compared to the first time I travelled by myself over to Vietnam, and nothing compared to when I took off to Cairo in 2009. By the time I reach the bottom of the escalator I've taken a few deep breaths and the unsureness, the loneliness, the frightened feeling evaporates and gets replaced with extreme excitement!

I managed to get away pretty much on time and am now currently hanging out at Changi Airport, Singapore.


I have a 4 hour stopover here and then it's on to Dubai briefly to refuel and then finally to Cairo. I have organised for the man at the Australian Hostel Cairo to come and meet me and pick up me and my bike. Cairo typically shuts down on Fridays and Saturdays which is the weekend over there so I should be able to go and catch up on a few minutes of shut eye, head out for a wander, then go and sleep a bit more!!!

The only thing I realise I've forgotten to bring at the moment is my mess kit but I'm not too concerned as I should have time to figure something out when I get to Cairo without any issues!

No comments: