Thursday, January 16, 2014

Day 1 - Auckland Airport to Manukau


Today is the day the big journey has begun.  Only right now I’m still not 100% sure where we’re going, and what we’re going to achieve.  Tomorrow’s job will involve figuring out all of that kind of stuff. 

Flew into Auckland safe and sound, and met up with my good friend Gabe who I hadn’t seen in 2.5 years.  Ultra enthusiastic as always we decide that since there is a bike assembly area specifically for cycle tourists right at Auckland international airport we may as well make good use of it and put our bikes together right there and then. Gabe was concerned as his box had come undone somehow on it’s way from Florida.  No dramas there – the beautiful black Bart the Troll and Clive the LHT arrive undamaged.  It takes a good few hours for us to get our bikes organised.  Both of us left in a bit of a hurry so there was a bit to be done as far as pannier adjustments etc etc.  Neither of us have done any significant amount of cycle touring – I have never carried my camping gear on my bike or cycled longer than 5 days. 

Pedals on, saddle up, handlebars reattached, racks on, panniers packed relatively evenly and on.  I try and lift Clive with his bags on.  FAR OUT he is heavy!!! Before I left I had all my stuff spread out on the floor.  Looked at it, halved it, halved it again.  I swear I need absolutely everything inside these panniers!!! 

Still without a plan for where we are going we decide to ride to the nearest caravan park we can find and pitch our tents there.  It’s been too long since I’ve been in my tent! 


We spread out our stuff – show each other what we brought and try and justify to eachother and ourselves what we’re taking with us and what we’re going to send back home.  I cull my spare chain, 1 cycling jersey, my spoke tool, my swimmers.  I’ll probably reassess this again while I’m crawling up some of the NZ hills!!! 

No comments: