Sunday, January 18, 2009

1000km gone

Well sorry about the lack of pictures on here... web connection is really slow and everyone is frustrated at not being able to do it.

We made it to Idfu yesterday, and today kept pedalling on to Aswan which means we have now kicked over the first 1000kms of the tour. It's amazing how fast it's gone (and also how fast my MTB can go too!!! - managed to cover 113kms today at an average of 29.5km/h).

My racing endeavours continue because I don't believe in quitting so I'm going to finish the section to Khartoum at any rate. Todays race was the first 60km and I managed to stay with the pack until just before the end... the MTB still feels strange to sprint on!!! And when some of the people in the pack are boys with cyclocrosses me on my lovely red Rockhopper just seems to fall off the back. Finished only 1 min behind the pack today anyway, better than the 12mins yesterday!!!! Very strange race situations. Sometimes there'll be a railway the entire pack has to stop at to wait 10mins for a train to go by before we can continue... and there's lots of donkeys on the road, traffic moving everywhere, and potholes potholes potholes.

Aswan is much nicer than Idfu. I went exploring around town with Sonja in Idfu and the kids were crazy, pulling on our bikes trying to make us come off... improves our balance at any rate!!! We camped in the local soccer stadium grounds.

So now we're in Aswan and Aswan is the last place for internet (and beer too!) until we reach Ethiopia so I won't be able to update this blog again until a while!!!

Mum & Dad - thanks for your email update - always good to know what's happening back home. Dad your new car sounds like a great idea what colour is it?- I don't think you'll regret the choice!!! Tassie is beautiful - think I'm headed back there on my next adventure perhaps!

No comments: