Thursday, January 15, 2009

from SAFAGA we went west to LUXOR!

It has taken us two days to ride from Safaga to Luxor and we were blessed with tail winds making the "toughest day in Egypt" easier than the first two days! The 40km hill climb was easy enough and the promised headwind on the downhill to follow which usually makes the section harder than the climb never came.

Today we returned to cycle along the fertile farmland along the banks of the Nile, providing us with a big change of scenery to the nothingness of the desert that we have passed through.

Suddenly all of the kids in the villages we pass through line the streets. Some are kind, yelling out their greetings of "hello, how are you, what is your name?" while others are more aggressive and wait for the next cyclist with rocks in their hands ready to throw as you ride past... Haven't come off yet.

There are many more cars, narrower streets, and plenty of donkeys and donkey poo to avoid running into!

But now I'm in Luxor, having just completed a failed mission to find some bar ends to attach to the ends of my handlebars to stop my fingers going numb. It was an interesting mission anyhow, I had to go across the cross river local ferry by myself. Met some nice Arabic girls however who were friendly and spoke only a tiny bit more english than I do arabic. We had some kind of very giggly conversation because neither of us could understand eachother. At least sitting near them meant that I didn't get another marriage proposals- which happen so frequently I am tired of rejecting them even if they do involve camels... if anyone's ever desperate for men come to Egypt - they're everywhere and will propose if you're only talking to them for a few minutes!!! Anyhow, I'm hoping I can get some bar ends brought over from a sectional rider when we reach Khartoum. Fingers crossed while I still can cross them!!!

Looking forward to a well deserved rest day in Luxor tomorrow anyway!!!

No comments: