Friday, January 30, 2009

Across the Sahara

We pedalled across the Sahara and into Khartoum and the first section of the ride is complete. It was a beautiful ride on newly paved roads. Sickness spreads through the camp like wild fire with many people violently expelling fluids from both ends of their bodies, and lots of truck riding going on. I'm fortunate to not be affected as yet, and will keep my fingers crossed that it continues to be that way.

The Sahara is in many ways like a beach, and we ride and ride dreaming of finding water and waves to jump into... but they simply don't come. Occasionally we camp near the Nile so we can have a swim there. There is some risk of getting Bilharzia swimming in freshwater throughout Africa but seeing its a disease that is easily treated I think it's worth the risk.

In Khartoum I had my first proper shower in 9 days, and I'm now feeling much much fresher. Today I actually sat on a toilet twice in one day - it's been two weeks since I last did that!!!

I have now pedalled the entire distance between Cairo and Khartoum and my body is handling it pretty well... despite a bit of finger numbness, mild chafing down under, all else is well!!!

1 comment:

Steve Klassen said...

Hello, just found your blog thru my Google Alerts.
I share your interests in cycling and healthcare. Keep the faith!
Steve
Bicycles for Humanity
www.b4hthunderbay.org