Sunday, February 27, 2011

Arba Minch

Hi there from Arba Minch!!!

Well more interesting times arise as the wound infections start. We've done a few intravenous infusions out of the back of the lunch truck to try and get them better. Fingers crossed they keep getting better.

I have been for a morning walk around every single pharmacy that is open in Arba Minch trying to restock the antibiotics. The ciprofloxacin and the cloxacillin is easy enough to find... trying to get some oral clindamycin for those people that are allergic to penicillin is a different story however! I think I've been to every pharmacy and haven't been able to find anything. I ask for an antibiotic for someone with a wound infection who is allergic to penicillin - the man digs out the cloxacillin. "No - Penicillin allergy" I reinforce - so he finds some Augmentin (which also contains penicillin). I point out that amoxycillin is a penicillin too.
"Yes but this antibiotic is very good for wound infection" he says/
Not getting anywhere today.

Instead I find a heap of nice young local men who are waiting for me to finish my internet time because they really want to take me out tonight because they have a big celebration. It's the night before they start their fasting time - this means they aren't allowed to eat any proteins, they're not allowed to drink, and they're not allowed to have sex during this time. I tell them no - but it's never that easy.

No comments: