Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Story of the Lost Children

The other day I was riding afternoon sweep when I come across Kristian and Ram stopped by
the side of the road. With them are two very small Sudanese children - the boy aged maybe 5, the girl only 3.

These kids are in the middle of the desert, it's hot outside, and there is no signs of any civilisation or signs of life in sight.

Kristian and Ram are both very concerned about the wellbeing of the two children. I suggest we continue on our way. We can't take these two children with us to Cape Town! A vehicle passes about every 15 minutes. The kids do not look too unwell, dehydrated or sick, and I believe that once we are gone, the Sudanese people will look after these children.

Ram and Kristian don't like my plan so I discuss with Sharita (the boss) what we should do. She suggests we keep moving and says she will go back and check on them, but Ram and Kristian still don't want to leave them.

I eventually flag down a vehicle and a man gets out of it. I explain using a lot of gestures (because I don't speak much arabic, and he doesn't speak English) that the children are lost and we are concerned about them. He thanks us and starts walking with them away from the road and into the desert.

I am sure these people must have places, homes, hidden from our eyes where they live. Often we will see a person in the middle of nowhere just walking, or sitting next to the road - just usually not quite this small!!!

No comments: