Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Sweeping in Ethiopia

I love Ethiopia. I especially like riding sweep in this country. Many riders don't like to be "swept" - I like to try and respect this. This means I try and hang back as soon as I catch up to the last rider if they look like they're doing okay. It means there's lots of time for awesome photographs. Lots of time for Pepsi and coffee, and it means lots of time for me to practice my Amharic with the local kids. I'm a bit limited to "what's your name" and "how are you" but I'm sure I'll learn a bit more as time goes on.

I was sweeping up a hill the other day and I met a group of 4 kids, one of which was holding out a baby goat. Of course I have to stop, and take a photo. Then they let me hold the goat too. It would have only been a few days old. A rider had already bought a goat and wanted to take it along with us on the lunch truck - but for infection control reasons the rules are "no goats on the lunch truck" - so I gave my little one back to the boy and continued on my way.

Surprisingly I don't get many rocks while I'm riding sweep - i think it's because I have the energy and time to talk to lots of the kids, try to greet them in Amharic, and remain pretty cheerful.

Medically we're still keeping busy... a bit of minor surgery in the back of the lunch truck, the wound infections start coming in, the gastro for the time being has been keeping at bay.

No comments: