Sunday, May 15, 2011

Capetown

So here I am safe and sound, finally in Capetown.

Of course the last 6 days haven't been without any dramas. A few days before we arrive we have a TDA disaster. One of our big support trucks brakes fail, the truck rolls. I don't know how the two staff members on board manage to get out of there unharmed. I think Disco Jesus saved them. Goodbye green truck. That's our second day this tour when things could have ended up seriously bad but somehow they didn't. Once again Sharita (a.k.a BB, or Fearless Leader) does an awesome job sorting out the disaster. We get everything off the trucks. Bicycles are damaged but the main thing is everyone is safe. Thankfully there were no clients on board the truck.

Disco Jesus came from Marsabit - he was a glow in the dark plastic Jesus originally hanging from a cross. One drunken night he gets removed from his cross and Mathias burns his arm so he can bend it downwards - he looks like he's dancing. He used to live above Ferdi's bed on the truck but the belief is that he saved Ferdi and Elvis. Unfortunately he was lost during the drama.

The next lot of dramas don't arrive until the convoy into Capetown. A rider falls and lands heavily. After the awards ceremony she's taken to the hospital for x-rays. Meanwhile another rider is climbing down the ladder out of the truck - the ladder slips and the rider lands awkwardly. Two clients with broken bones in the final day.

So here in Capetown how am I feeling??? The answer: Very Tired.
I don't think I've ever worked this hard in my life.
I also don't think I've ever had so much fun in my life.

It's the perfect way to end a journey.

No comments: