Sunday, May 8, 2011

Kasane-Ghanzi

I haven't updated this blog since I was in Kasane and I apologise but I have not had a chance near a computer since then.

From Kasane I figured out how to get myself on a local bus to Ghanzi. It was surprisingly not to complicated. I first got a cab from camp early in the morning to the bus stop (left at 5am) then caught the bus to a place called Nata. From Nata a connecting bus goes off to Maun. I was expecting to spend a night in Maun but I didn't want to be there at the same time as everyone because it is only a tiny place and I knew I would bump into TDA people which would defeat the purpose of having a break! My plan was to hide in the first hotel I saw for a night but when I get to Maun there's another bus going to Ghanzi within another couple of hours so I hang out at the bus depot for a little longer. I manage to cover 1000km in a day on local transport. The only problem I had along the way was taking my tent down in Kasane - my tent pole had decided to fuse itself together and was refusing to collapse fully. Definitely not the end of the world - it just meant that I was on the bus with my extended tent pole - as if I wasn't attracting enough attention being the only whitie on the bus already!!!

I pitch my tent at the same campground TDA will be arriving at in a few days. It's completely empty - there's just me and my friend Olliver the Ostrich. The Ostrich is very friendly and he helps me put my tent back up. Some of the security guards come and have a quick chat to me but they don't speak very good English. They are also friends with Olliver Ostrich and show me he won't bite if he gets touched. So I stroke his back. Funny old bird!

The next day I spend wandering around downtown Ghanzi. I manage to check out the entire down town in a morning - including walking in and out of every shop. I buy a new t-shirt and new 3/4 pants because I felt like having some non dirt-bag clothes with me!

The rest of the afternoon I spend with my head buried in my book... and talking to Olliver. I have never ever looked so forward to going back to work in my life.

My second day in Ghanzi - I sleep in, have a shower, walk up to the kitchen get some coffee, read my book for a bit - listening very carefully for the trucks to arrive. I walk up to the lady at reception to pay my camping bill and find Sharita sitting there at reception. She gives me a big hug and a rundown on all the dramas that have been going on.

The trucks come in and there's more "welcome back" hugs - I am surprised at how much I have missed everyone. And surprised how much being back with everyone feels like family. And surprised at how I am feeling so much better and fresher after the break!

No comments: