Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I can eat noodles with chopsticks!

So it's been a few days since I've posted anything here - my apologies but the internet connection speed in the town of Kep was a true test of my patience so I decided to occupy myself otherwise - exploring the crab market and the beaches around town instead! And of course put my feet up for a bit and read some book.

The ride from Sihanoukville to Kep was not nearly as challenging as the other way around. I think it was partially because I ate a tonne of food on the dive boat, and also because I got all the hills over and done with first thing in the morning before the heat picked up too much!

I don't mean to brag but I'm turning into some kind of chopstick eating noodle pro! Still got a few more chances to practice though to polish up this new skill!

Todays ride was particularly beautiful. I only spent 5km on the highway, the other roughly 120km I spend riding the back roads. I meet a guy who gives me a private tour of his pagoda. There are a lot of pagodas here but it was only the first one I have been to see. I think it is easy to over do the pagoda seeing sometimes! He asked me if I'd seen any of these other pagodas (probably famous if you're into pagodas) and seemed really disappointed when I hadn't.

I also met a boy who spoke really good english (almost fluent). He said he'd been learning it for 3 years now at both private and public schools. I found another lady who was selling fried banana, and also some really really good sticky rice with rhubarb in the middle, wrapped up in vine leaves. Yummo.

And now I'm in the town of Takeo! Yep I finally found it! Tomorrow I ride 80km back to PP on National Highway 2 (fingers crossed!). The word is that NH2 is bicycle friendly with a nice wide shoulder so I'll suss it out for myself and see how it goes! I have a nice clean room and an ensuite bathroom all to myself for the fine price of $5USD. I'd be in my tent for that amount of money at home!

No comments: