Monday, March 5, 2012

The African Health Care System

I am learning the hard way why the life expectancy across Africa is so much lower than it is back home.

The problem isn't simple. These people and hospitals would really benefit from many things including but not limited to:
- Better education for doctors so that they can diagnose accurately!
- Even better education for nurses so they know how to nurse
- Better plumbing so that the water always works
- Better diagnostic equipment to help with more accurate diagnoses
This is not an exhaustive list.

Today it's a rest day and there's no medical dramas. I go and check out Marsabit hospital anyway because I've never been there before and I don't know what is there. It's as I expected - basic. Not a good place to be sick in.
Facilities include:
x-ray
laboratory services
basic surgery (not entirely sure what)
maternity unit
physio

No ultrasound. No ECG machine. This is Africa.

1 comment:

Kiwi Pete said...

Ha Ha, I have find out the hard way that same places have very poor health care. But some places have very good Health Care! Thanks for getting me out of that Bad (mad) place in Sudan and to Nairobi with the best Doctor that I have come across in my life!
You saved my life....
Thanks from a Kiwi