Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Nairobi-Arusha

I managed to get the stuff I needed to get sorted at the embassy with no dramas once I was through security and they'd taken both my mobile phones, my camera, and my charging cords. (They let me take in my leatherman though!).

I have discovered that security guards always know cab drivers though and cab drivers know where to get the bus to Arusha so getting from the Embassy to the bus stop was not a drama. Now I'm just filling in time waiting until 2pm when the bus goes!

While I was wandering around I meet Teacher Joseph. Teacher Joseph is a primary school teacher from South Sudan. He is a very well educated man and asks me where I am from. He knows who the last 3 prime ministers are in Australia, and even recalls the flooding in Brisbane which happened over a year ago now. Teacher Joseph was taken by missionary workers to Kenya as the South of Sudan became more unstable. The missionary workers have since gone further south to Tanzania and told Joseph that he should be able to find work in Nairobi. He is looking but it has been 2 weeks and it is difficult. He is a friendly man and he says he is not asking for money, just for food - rice and sugar. Because he is so well educated, underweight, and dark skinned (like Sudanese people who are darker than Kenyan people) and because I still have Kenyan shillings in my pocket and I'm about to leave Kenya, we go to the supermarket and I buy him some rice and some sugar. I can tell it has made his day.

1 comment:

Catherine Tramell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.