Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Holidays - Nkhata Bay

Every time I visit Africa my eyes are opened more to the fact that there is such a huge cross cultural gap that both us Westerners and the African People struggle to understand each other. Yesterday while escaping Chitimba Beach and heading to Nkhata Bay on mission vacation, I see things which although do not surprise me, they still make me look twice!

I was sitting in a local minibus on my way from Chitimba to Mzuzu when an older woman gets on and sits next to me. She is holding a big bundle of thick blanket. When I look more closely I see a tiny infant is wrapped inside. The lady sees me looking and she smiles at me. ¨She was born just last night¨ I am told.

Back home I am sure the child would still be in the hospital, not crammed like sardines in a minibus.

The minibus stops every 5 minutes and every 5 minutes thereś some people tapping my shoulder through the open window wanting me to buy their bananás and sweet potatoes. One lady has another tiny infant sucking madly while she´s wanting me to buy her bananas. Another baby that was born yesterday I am told. These women seem to pop them out almost like itś something they do everyday!!!

So I´m here on holidays here in Nkhata Bay for a week just taking a break from everyone and everything on TDA... Itś a cool little spot right on the water with plenty to do. Thereś free snorkelling, canoeing and boat rides from the place Iḿ staying at, and most importantly thereś DIVING!!!

Todays plan is just to relax and explore town. I already started the day off with a nice long soak in the bath tub. I washed my hair 3 times while I was in there and I am not proud of the colour of the water when I made my exit! Needed a shower afterwards!!! I have a cheap little chalet with my own chalet for the price of a chalet with a shared bathroom.

I have made lots of friends with a heap of the local guys already... My friend Benson might give me a hair appointment - these dreads are needing a bit of attention. I met a guy while I stopped at the bank in Mzuzu called Pumpkin - he remembers Miles from when he was in Malawi in 2007! And my friends in Nkhata Bay have cool names too - their names are Happiness, Gift, and my favourite name so far - Happy Coconut! Thereś also some people with normal names here too.

No comments: